Brief overview of IQOS
IQOS is a development of the world famous company Philip Morris. It is a unique technology for heating tobacco, which is impregnated with propylene glycol and glycerin. In this, the device is similar to an electronic cigarette, for which liquids based on these components are also used. One difference is that pharmaceutical nicotine is also added to IQOS. Now you can buy such a device in 38 countries around the world.
Many e-cigarette users note that tobacco flavors cannot replace the taste of regular cigarettes. They do not have the usual aftertaste. Tobacco, when heated, gives the same aftertaste as traditional cigarettes. Since the tobacco is impregnated, the resulting aerosol may contain particles of the same tobacco.
Those who oppose the new technology say the device is designed so that the tobacco company can easily overhaul its production. That is, this is a way to keep your customers without changing raw materials. To do this, you just need to convince customers of the safety of the novelty.
In the device, tobacco is heated to 300 ° C, and not 900 ° C, as in a conventional cigarette. Thanks to this, when smoking, not smoke is emitted, but an aerosol. Its smell is almost non-existent. Tobacco is used in the form of special sticks.
Why created IQOS
If the purpose of an electronic cigarette is to help users give up harmful cigarettes, then IQOS has completely different goals. This is still the same tobacco, only served in a new shell.
Philip Morris developed IQOS to fight the trend of decreasing active smokers. People refuse regular cigarettes because they are worried about their health. Aikos presents tobacco from a different angle. Technology developers tell consumers that they can not give up the usual taste if they smoke tobacco in a different way.
Features of IQOS care
The device must be periodically charged and cleaned. Cleansing refers to the removal of tobacco residues. For comparison, in an electronic cigarette, it is enough to replace the evaporator once a month and wipe the condensate with a napkin.
Differences between electronic cigarette and IQOS
There are many differences between devices. Let's start with the fact that IQOS is produced by only 1 company Philip Morris, which is the developer of this device. There are a huge number of vape manufacturers, so they are presented in a large assortment on the market. IQOS does not help quit smoking, while research confirms that vaping does.
For clarity, we present the differences in the form of a table:
|Number of flavors||Over 100 thousand||4|
|Smell||Depends on fragrance||There is|
|Fortress||Adjustable with evaporators, settings and fluids||not regulated|
|Models||Large selection of form factors||One upgradable model|
|Use without nicotine||Maybe||Impossible|
|Care||Filling with liquid and replacing evaporators||Cleaning and replacing sticks|
|Device cost||From 10 GBP||From 40 GBP|
|Average cost of service||Depends on model and liqui|
From 6.5 GBP
Research on the dangers of IQOS
The first study was conducted in 2018 by the Institute of California. His goal was to determine the possible harmful emissions in steam from the device.
The study was conducted in this way: scientists simulated the use of IQOS using air blowers. After use, the sticks were examined in detail. The researchers also used two protocols for cleaning devices.
As a result of the study, it turned out that:
- despite the fact that tobacco does not burn, it chars;
- The plastic parts of the stick begin to melt at 90°C. The manufacturer claims that the melting point is 300 ° C. The difference is huge;
- formaldehyde is released during the melting of the plastic film;
- During operation, IQOS releases cyanohydrin, which is a dangerous toxin. The doses of the substance that are excreted are lethal to mice;
- after cleaning the heating element according to the manufacturer's recommendations, the device produces more toxins. This is due to better heating after brushing.
The second study was published in Oxford Academic. Its theme is the chemical analysis of the elements that IQOS 2.2 emits in everyday use. The researchers analyzed the vapor produced by the device and compared it with the composition of conventional cigarettes. The results showed that the steam due to heated tobacco in IQOS contains less harmful elements than conventional cigarettes. However, the level of tar and nicotine produced is almost the same.
- You can not compare IQOS and vapes both in terms of harmfulness and taste.
- Despite the fact that IQOS emits less harmful substances than a regular cigarette, the inhaled vapor contains an identical amount of nicotine and tar.
- If you do not like or are tired of the smell of tobacco, give preference to electronic cigarettes. They also allow you to get nicotine, but with a more pleasant taste and smell.
- If you want to quit smoking e-cigarettes, vaping is the way to go. Studies confirm that it can be used to give up cigarettes.
- If you like the taste of tobacco and this is the main factor for you, then buy IQOS. It also makes it possible to taste tobacco, but is less harmful to health.
- With the help of electronic cigarettes, you can gradually reduce the level of nicotine, which will help fight nicotine addiction. Aikos in this case will not help you.